We’ve all had the experience of trying to say something to someone who is not really listening to us. In this animation we show how we can engage in active listening by showing young people these verbal and non-verbal signs:
- Eye contact, nodding and smiling
- Leaning forward
- Mirroring body language
- Remembering what is said. A young person will appreciate your full attention and focus.
- Reflecting back what you’ve heard. This shows the young person that you’ve understood the key points of what they’ve said.
- Seeking clarification. If a young person has shared something that you don’t understand, ask them to explain what they mean. This is better than pretending you get something, which a young person will pick up on.
- Summarising. Recap your conversation and any decisions you have reached together to ensure you are both on the same page.
> Read more about supporting youth mental health